Wednesday 15 July 2009

Decorating








It’s a few days now since I did it but at the end of last week I achieved something that I am really proud of, I decorated Nat’s bedroom, Ok so maybe not the most earth shattering achievement you might think! And to some its nothing special.

Originally when we got the paint the idea was that we were going to take up an offer, by Chris & Hannah, to decorate her room for us, it was a very generous offer on their part and we were grateful for it, however when it came to look at obvious dates etc to do the decorating it became apparent that we would do well to take advantage of Steven being in respite the back end of last week, to decorate, as we could put Nat into his room for the duration, we would have used the weekend but it turned out to be a busy weekend, with a BBQ on the Saturday afternoon and a church picnic on the Sunday afternoon so there was no way we could do it then! That meant that we couldn’t take Chris & Hannah up on their offer as they would be at work when we needed to decorate, or at least Hannah would for definite, which is why I ended up doing the decorating, whether I liked it or not.

I spent basically all day Thursday and Friday morning painting and a couple of hours Friday afternoon putting up her border and then I spent 3 hours Monday putting together a bed that was supposed, according to the instructions, to take just 1 hour! OK I wasn’t rushing but I wasn’t moving that slow.

I am pleased partly because we have given her room a completely new makeover, with paints, curtains and bedding all that she chose, and all complementing the lamp shade she chose the other week.

We also got her a new bed a space saving ‘Cabin Bed’ and are awaiting delivery of her new, matching wardrobe, before we can complete the job.

OK so still not got a clue why this is so earth shattering? Well in short its because I managed to paint her room, and I have had a pretty acute paint phobia! The reasons for the phobia are complex and it would be inappropriate to go into details on here but believe me this is a real achievement which goes way beyond the physical effort required to decorate.

So, in short yes I am pleased at the results, Nat loves her new look room and rightly so because it looks great, IMHO, but also I managed to face one of my big phobias to tackle the job.

So I am sorry that I deprived Chris and Hannah of the opportunity to do the decorating but at the same time I am really glad that I did manage to do it myself because it has given me something to be really proud of, being able to say that I managed to achieve it on my own gives me a real sense of achievement and ‘moving on’ in life.

No comments:

Post a Comment